This practical session is led by life story expert, Polly Baynes, who will show you how to create a timeline you can use with children and young people, and help you understand how it feels to record your life story in this way.
Suitable for social workers, family support workers, foster carers, and anyone whose role involves direct work with children.
What will I take away from this Live Classroom?
- An experience of how it feels to put your story down on paper
- Knowledge of how to use timelines to help children understand the past and prepare for future
- A structure for creating timelines which you can use in your work
- An understanding of how to explain future changes such as placement moves
What people have said about Polly’s training
“Great trainer and super training.”
About Polly Baynes
Polly has been involved with life story work with children for 36 years in a variety of roles, including as a residential social worker, local authority social worker, children’s guardian, independent social worker, clinical supervisor and independent trainer. She is the author of the Research in Practice Life Story Work Practice Guide and developed and delivered Research in Practice’s 2022 national training programme in life story work. In 2017, Polly was awarded a Winston Churchill Travel Fellowship to Australia to learn more about their approach to life story work, contact and kinship care. She is currently studying for a Phd, looking at how social work understands its own story and makes sense of this in working with families.
What to bring
- Felt pens
- Any craft materials you have – like stickers, glitter, feathers, plain envelopes, pastels
- A roll of wallpaper
Find a quiet and private space for this training, with room to spread your paper out on the floor. You’ll be thinking about your own past during the training.
Zoom Access to the Live Classroom
- You will receive a zoom link to access the live classroom at least 48 hours before the live classroom takes place.
- Using Zoom: Our Live Classrooms are delivered via Zoom. If you haven’t used Zoom before, or need a refresher, take a look at this guidance. If you are planning on attending via a work device, to ensure access is not blocked you may need to seek permission in advance.
- Already a member – This Live Classroom is included in Creative Life Story Work members’ 12 free events per year.
- Not yet a member – This Live Classroom costs £50 for non-members.
- Interested in becoming a member? – Find out about becoming a member here.