Life story work expert, Polly Baynes, will lead this live, online session on different ways of communicating with children and young people about changes in their lives – like moving into foster care, a visit from a social worker, or a parent going into prison.
This session is for you if you work with children at any stage of child protection – from first visit to permanency.
What will I take away from this Live Classroom?
- An understanding of using the ‘words and pictures’ approach to create simple, immediate explanations about important changes
- How to explain difficult things in limited time
- How to write simple letters for later life – and how to encourage others to do the same
What people have said about Polly’s training
“Very insightful, well facilitated and definitely applicable in my practice.”
About Polly Baynes
Polly has been involved with life story work with children for 36 years in a variety of roles, including as a residential social worker, local authority social worker, children’s guardian, independent social worker, clinical supervisor and independent trainer. She is the author of the Research in Practice Life Story Work Practice Guide and developed and delivered Research in Practice’s 2022 national training programme in life story work. In 2017, Polly was awarded a Winston Churchill Travel Fellowship to Australia to learn more about their approach to life story work, contact and kinship care. She is currently studying for a Phd, looking at how social work understands its own story and makes sense of this in working with families.
What to bring
- Chunky felt pens
- A flip chart-sized piece of paper – you can stick some A4 together or use a roll of old wallpaper
Zoom Access to the Live Classroom
- You will receive a zoom link to access the live classroom at least 48 hours before the live classroom takes place.
- Using Zoom: Our Live Classrooms are delivered via Zoom. If you haven’t used Zoom before, or need a refresher, take a look at this guidance. If you are planning on attending via a work device, to ensure access is not blocked you may need to seek permission in advance.
- Already a member – This Live Classroom is included in Creative Life Story Work members’ 12 free events per year.
- Not yet a member – This Live Classroom costs £50 for non-members.
- Interested in becoming a member? – Find out about becoming a member here.