Join life story expert, Polly Baynes, to explore how we can tell life stories when difficult topics – like drink, drugs and violence – are involved.
This session is for anyone whose role includes explaining things to children in the context of child protection.
What will I take away from this Live Classroom?
- Ways to talk about difficult topics like drink, drugs, prison, violence, abuse and mental health
- Examples of handling situations when adults disagree about what happened
- An understanding of what makes it hard to explain children’s stories
- An insight into how children make sense of the world
- Structure, language and layout to use when working on a story
What people have said about Polly’s training
“I found the whole session beneficial and interesting.”
About Polly Baynes
Polly has been involved with life story work with children for 36 years in a variety of roles, including as a residential social worker, local authority social worker, children’s guardian, independent social worker, clinical supervisor and independent trainer. She is the author of the Research in Practice Life Story Work Practice Guide and developed and delivered Research in Practice’s 2022 national training programme in life story work. In 2017, Polly was awarded a Winston Churchill Travel Fellowship to Australia to learn more about their approach to life story work, contact and kinship care. She is currently studying for a Phd, looking at how social work understands its own story and makes sense of this in working with families.
Zoom Access to the Live Classroom
- You will receive a zoom link to access the live classroom at least 48 hours before the live classroom takes place.
- Using Zoom: Our Live Classrooms are delivered via Zoom. If you haven’t used Zoom before, or need a refresher, take a look at this guidance. If you are planning on attending via a work device, to ensure access is not blocked you may need to seek permission in advance.
- Already a member – This Live Classroom is included in Creative Life Story Work members’ 12 free events per year.
- Not yet a member – This Live Classroom costs £50 for non-members.
- Interested in becoming a member? – Find out about becoming a member here.